The program of Accounting and Finance plans to meet the University’s mission of instilling into present and future knowledge and skills of current and future accounting, auditing and finance practices and relevant skills through student–centered high quality, viable programs which are fully recognized internationally and by both the private and public institutions in Ethiopia.
The program of Accounting and Finance has the following specific objectives:
- To produce degree graduates to satisfy a portion of the demand for accounting and finance graduates.
- To enhance the relevance and timeliness of instruction, as well as the technical competency of the staff, by conducting applied research and developing innovative educational materials and techniques.
- To provide students with sufficient academic, technical, logical, analytical, and professional base from which to pursue a career in accounting and finance to advance to further study and a potential academic career in accounting and finance.
- To be a major provider of consultancy services to the public
- To establish linkage programs with different stakeholders from which the program will be able to tap resources and share experiences
- A highly educated and motivated faculty Viable programs which have local relevance and fully recognized internationally.
- An abundant level of intellectual capital created through scholarly activities
- Research that meets the needs of the local and international business and academic communities;
- A fully integrated international perspective
- A full understanding of employer needs obtained through constant monitoring of the business environment through linkage program
Upon graduate from the program, the graduate from BA degree in Accounting and finance should have accounting and finance knowledge and understanding that enable them to:
- Prepare, analyze, and interpret financial statements competently;
- Audit financial statements and the underlying accounting systems, controls and records, and express an independent professional opinion about them;
- Identify, measure, gather, analyze, interpret and communicate cost and other types of information to management for planning, control, performance measurement, and decision making related to pricing, operating, investing, and financing activities;
- Identify and anticipate control risks both in manual and computerized accounting systems, and to suggest and establish better controls to safeguard business resources from risk exposures of illegal acts;
- Analyze and design accounting information systems, and use computer applications in business transaction cycles;
- Develop the specific skills, modes of analysis and institutional background useful to work in finance areas for profit-making businesses or not-for-profit enterprises
- Start and run their own business;
- Manage financial resource and risk exposures of business firms, manage financial institutions, analyze investment opportunities and execute professional services in investment institutions, brokerage & dealer firms and in investment banks;
- To conduct accounting related research and to form linkage with various accounting oriented and research based institutions both locally and abroad.
- Work clerical activities like, keeping general accounts, records and reports; payroll processing and billings.
- Prepare tax return and perform tax plan
- Internalize an appreciation for the role of ethics in both the profession and the business world.
The undergraduate accounting and finance programs was delivered in the following divisions
- Regular program
- Extension program
- Weekend special program and
- Distance program
Head, Accounting and Finance Department